On this podcast, John McGarry, and Richard Roocroft talk about the things they remember when they were kids. John speaks about living in Twechar, which is in East Dunbartonshire, Scotland, where he was waiving to the German pilots as they bombed John Brown's Shipyard, on the Clydebank, and Glasglow. Richard remembers playing on the train tracks when we had steam locomotives.
John was an apprentice mechanic at 14 years old. He joined the British Royal Army Service Corps and came to Canada on the Queen Mary with two dollars in his pocket. The podcast reminisces about various subjects including:
• Picking up bullet shells and bomb casings;
• Wood stoves, freezing cold houses, out houses and using candles to keep from freezing;
• Gas lights, electricity, gramophones, early radios, and batteries;
• Funerals, wakes, including the Irish wake;
• Old motorcycles, like the one with the JAP engine;